Dog Care & Training Projects
Orientation meeting for the Kaufman County 4-H Dog Project will be April 30th at 6 pm at the Extension Office, Kaufman, TX
Mixed breed or purebred, all kinds of dogs are welcome in the 4-H Dog Care and Training Project. You can have a better, well-mannered family member in about 6 weeks with any basic obedience training class. After obedience training, you can set your sights on Canine Good Citizenship Certification.
You will also learn about daily care and health of your dog, and being a “dog foster parent.” Even community service and competition you can do with your dog. Most important of all is having fun as you build a bond with your dog and make friends who love dogs too!
Teach your dog new tricks! Bring your dog and complete a basic obedience course in about 6 weeks. Have fun and build confidence as your dog improves.
You can do all sorts of activities, like:
- Foster dogs, therapy or guide dogs,
- Competitions such as rally, agility, obedience, showmanship or conformation
- career exploration
- canine good citizenship testing
You can learn of several state wide opportunities by visiting the Texas 4-H Dog Care & Training site.
Things to Learn/Do in the Project
- Choose the right dog for your family
- Explore dog behavior and body language
- Learn grooming basics
- Begin obedience training
- Select nutritious dog foods
- Identify dog breeds and their purposes
- Show your dog in showmanship
Ages 14 and Older
- Continue advanced obedience training
- Learn local dog laws and ordinances
- Explore the value of assistance dogs and careers with working dogs
Reasonably priced materials are available for the dog project. You can order the materials for your project online or contact your local Extension Office.
Dog Care & Training (DG100)
Quizlet Study Resource – Link
- Introduction to the 4-H Dog Project
Dog Obedience Series
- Dog Showmanship Series